Federal Emergency Management Agency Grants (FEMA)


What is the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program?

The Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP) assists State and local communities in implementing long-term mitigation measures following a major disaster declaration within the state. The HMGP’s objective is to support cost-effective measures implemented during the recovery from a disaster that will reduce the risk of damage and suffering from future disasters.

How much money is available in the HMGP?

FEMA can fund up to 75% of the eligible costs of each project. The remaining 25% is funded by the grant recipient. Community Development Block Grants from the Department of Housing and Urban Development can be used for the non-federal share of the project. The recipient’s matching funds do not need to be in cash; in-kind services or materials may be used. Federal funding under the HMGP is now based on 15% of the federal funds spent on the Public Assistance and Individual Assistance programs (minus administrative expenses) for each disaster.

Who is eligible to apply?

Applicants who are eligible for HMGP are: State and Local Governments; Certain private non-profit organizations or institutions that perform essential government services; and, Indian tribes and authorized tribal organizations.