CDBG Planning Fund
The purpose of the CDBG Planning Fund is to assist communities having a need for comprehensive or other planning. Eligible plans include comprehensive plans, elements of comprehensive plans, downtown revitalization plans, or other strategies and studies important to sound and effective community growth and development. The ceiling for these grants will be $50,000 with a provision for a waiver although applications requesting smaller amounts will be viewed more favorably unless a very substantial need or opportunity is demonstrated. A cash match of 20 percent of the project cost will be required. Applications will be considered on a continual basis. The grant awards will be made based on the following considerations.
1. How the applicant’s proposed CDBG planning project will contribute to principally benefiting low and moderate income persons.
2. How the applicant’s proposed CDBG planning project will contribute to aiding in the prevention of slums and blight.
3. Need and urgency of planning activities proposed. (The State reserves the right not to a fund project if need or urgency is not clearly demonstrated and if amount requested is not appropriate for the plan or the size of the planning area involved.)
4. How the applicant’s proposed CDBG planning project will contribute to the development of a planning process which will serve as a guide or ongoing process leading to orderly and/or consistent growth and community development.
5. How the applicant’s proposed CDBG planning will aid in, or contribute to the involvement or creation of various community groups, advisory councils, planning/zoning districts, redevelopment authorities etc., in the ongoing planning process.
6. Amount of funds requested relative to the size of the community, and complexity of the proposed elements and final product. (This consideration will be particularly important where larger grant requests are involved)
7. Prior year grants received as well as implementation of prior planning efforts.